Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Danger Zone Mix





Me: If the Danger Zone referenced on the Top Gun soundtrack was a literal, tangible place instead of a metaphor, which vehicle would you drive on your journey on the Highway to the Danger Zone?

Willy: Hold on. I won’t answer that question until you clarify a few things for me. In the first place, why would I voluntarily travel to a place called “The Danger Zone”?

Me: For the sake of thrill-seeking, maybe.

Willy: But I’m not really a thrill-seeker. I mostly seek paychecks and relaxation and sex. When I get done with work, I spend time with my wife and daughter. Sometimes I spark a joint in the basement and then put on NetFlix and fill out a crossword. Maybe get laid, if we can get the baby to take a nap. It’s a pretty tame lifestyle, based on routine, but I kind of prefer it that way. I’m not the Danger Zone type. I have no reason, no inclination to take a trip to the Danger Zone.

Me: Well, what if circumstances forced you to drive to the Danger Zone? What if you had to enter the Danger Zone in order to rescue your wife and daughter?

Willy: Then I’d call my wife on her cell phone. I'd be like, “I thought I told you to stay away from the Danger Zone. And you brought the baby along with you, too? What the hell? That’s pretty weak, honey.”

Me: Okay, okay. What if evil forces from the Danger Zone kidnapped your wife and daughter?

Willy: What kind of evil forces?

Me: Let’s see...How about a coalition of al-Qaeda zombies and black bears armed with bazookas?

Willy: Those creatures don’t exist. You know that, right?

Me: Of course I do. But the entire question is hypothetical in nature. The Danger Zone doesn’t really exist, either. It’s imaginary; therefore, it harbors imaginary things.

Willy: Well-played, nut-job. All right. So, the question you’re asking me is as follows: If al-Qaeda zombies joined forces with bazooka-shooting black bears and then kidnapped my wife and daughter and stole them off to a place known as the Danger Zone, which vehicle would I drive on my journey to rescue them?

Me: Yes, that’s it. Exactly.

Willy: Okay. I’m tempted to opt for a souped-up squad car or something flashy, with plenty of gusto, like an Escalade, but because the question itself is fantasy-based, I had better squash that rational instinct. Something invincible and deadly, such as a tank, seems like a good answer, but then again, tanks aren’t exactly designed for highway driving, are they? A monster truck comes to mind, but those are reckless vehicles, and I’d probably destroy a dozen or so cars accidentally on my way to rescue my wife and daughter. And that’s no good. I don’t need my conscience terrorized by the deaths of innocent strangers I was responsible for, just because I had the balls to command a beast like the Gravedigger on the highway. So forget about the tank and the monster truck.

Me: Will do. The tank and the monster truck are now dead to us.

Willy: What about the DeLorian from Back to the Future?

Me: On the surface, it’s an alluring choice, considering the appeal of ‘80s nostalgia, but keep in mind, if you exceed 88 miles per hour in that thing, you’ll be going back in time rather than saving your wife and daughter from capture in the Danger Zone.

Willy: That’s a valid point. Also, you really should talk to chicks more often.

Me: Neither here nor there but noted. Do you have an answer to the question?

Willy: Yeah, I think so. Staying true to the appeal of ‘80s nostalgia but excluding the time machine factor, I’m going with KITT from Knight Rider. That car is conditioned for danger. Plus it’s incredibly fast and nimble, perfect for highway driving, and if I drove the black sports-car from Knight Rider back to safety with my family in tow, I guarantee I’d have sex at least twice that night.

Me: All right. That was a clear and thoughtful answer, and I respect it.

Willy: What about you? Which vehicle would you drive along the Highway to this Danger Zone?

Me: Oh! It’s a no-brainer. The Batmobile.

Willy: Okay. I’ll go along with that. Which Batmobile?

Me: The one that Batman rides in, stupid.

Willy: Oh, my. How flabbergasting. No, I mean which incarnation of the Batmobile? Adam West’s muscle-car from the late ‘60s? Michael Keaton’s sleek and aerodynamic ride? The phallic-shaped version from Batman Forever? The militaristic vehicle with the escape pod motorcycle from the Christopher Nolan flicks...

Me: Got’cha. My bad. Allow me to clarify. I’d go with Michael Keaton’s Batmobile. My hunch is strong that, of all the Batmobiles, Keaton’s showcases the best balance of style, giddy-up, armor, weaponry, and handling.

Willy: Fair enough. So, I’d drive KITT along the Highway to the Danger Zone, whereas you’d go with the Batmobile from the original Batman movie. Are we through here?

Me: Not quite. We’ve established the cars we’d drive, but an additional question to consider is as follows: What kind of music would you listen to en route to the Danger Zone?

Willy: Aside from the obvious choice of “The Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins?

Me: Preferably, yes. That pick doesn’t require much imagination. Plus, in this hypothetical scenario, your journey to the Danger Zone is long enough to include exactly ten tracks of your choosing. It would be trite and agonizing to listen to “The Danger Zone” ten times in a row.

Willy: Hey, that’s debatable. It’s clear you don’t have much respect for the soundtrack king of the 1980s. “I’m Alright” doesn’t put you in the mood to take off your shirt and run around a sprinkler with a bottle of champagne in hand? I’m worried about you.

Heavily rewritten with better results, this one appears in my eBook More Stories, and Additional Stories. 

No comments: